About the Clinical Initiatives
Leading Better Value Care program
Leading Better Value Care is one of the programs accelerating the NSW Health move to value-based healthcare. It is a statewide priority program that aims to improve the health outcomes and experiences of people with specific conditions or risk factors.
The Leading Better Value Care program aims to:
- improve the experiences of providing care
- improve the efficiency and effectiveness of care
- take a systematic approach to embed evidence-based patient centred models or standards of care, which can be tailored at a local level.
Leading Better Value Care involves collaboration across NSW Health, particularly between the Ministry of Health, the Agency for Clinical Innovation, the Clinical Excellence Commission, the Cancer Institute NSW and local health districts and networks.
By bringing together leaders from primary, community and acute care settings, we can promote an integrated health system, and create appropriate platforms for LHDs and SHNs to share information, ideas, challenges and learnings.
Through Leading Better Value Care, clinicians, networks and organisations are working together on 13 areas of high-impact healthcare.
The clinical initiatives were selected because they:
- identify issues with existing clinical management or service delivery
- demonstrate evidence to improve patient outcomes and experiences
- show an opportunity to address unwarranted clinical variation
- have a material cohort across all local health districts (LHDs), and are suitable for scaling across regional and rural areas
- have the potential to increase health system sustainability
The program is being conducted in tranches to allow for learning and the flexibility to incorporate new innovation. Read more about the clinical initiative tranches.
Monitoring and evaluation
Analysis of health service use, combined with outcomes and experience data, will guide development of new care pathways and demonstrate whether improvements in the system are delivering greater value.
Data and information from Leading Better Value Care initiatives will help to inform how care is delivered at an individual, service and system level.
A rigorous measurement and evaluation process is applied to each of the Leading Better Value Care clinical initiatives. This includes economic analysis, monitoring reports and formative and summative evaluations for each initiative.
Patient reported measures (PRMs) are also collected for a direct account of a patient's personal experiences and progress towards their desired health outcomes.
The Register of Outcomes, Value and Experience (ROVE) is a virtual registry that joins Leading Better Value Care administrative, clinical and patient reported measures data in one place. ROVE supports the aim of collecting data once and using it for multiple purposes.